Electric rickshaws are a great innovation in the transport and automobile sector. They work solely on batteries and/or solar panels which results in reduced emission of harmful gases.
Electric rickshaws are also cheaper to purchase as compared to the other petrol/diesel vehicles. But the purchase of an electric rickshaw is not the be all. Like any other vehicle, a lot of maintenance goes into ensuring a long and healthy life of an electric rickshaw.
Here are some ways you can ensure proper maintenance of an electric rickshaw:
Parking: The very basic of parking your electric rickshaw, if not an electric rickshaw with a solar panel, is to try and shield the rickshaw from direct sunlight. Direct exposure to sunlight can lead to overheating of the batteries.
Excess load: An electric rickshaw is a light vehicle. An excess of weight on the vehicle could end up in it being toppled, which could lead to damage to the vehicle and injure the people traveling in it.
Avoiding bad roads: This is true for any vehicle. Roads with potholes of uneven bumps can cause damage to the vehicle over time. It is best to try to avoid driving over potholes to ensure less damage to the vehicle.
Battery maintenance: Everything aside, the maintenance of an electric rickshaw’s battery is the most essential part of its overall maintenance. Here are a few things you can do to ensure a safe battery:
- The batteries are prone to corrosion after repeated and long use. It is essential that a regular checking of the batteries is done to change the batteries if required.
- Usage of a dry cloth should be made to clean the battery. Any contact with water can result in shock and damage to the battery rendering it useless.
- Regular usage of the battery of an electric rickshaw should be ensured. Letting the battery sit diel for longer periods of time can result in its decline in effectiveness.
- Avoid opening the battery if you are not qualified to do so.
- Regularly apply petroleum jelly to the cables connected to the battery to ensure proper lubrication.
- Make sure that a proper water level of the battery is maintained. Also ensure that only distilled water is used in the battery.
- Keep a check on the performance and condition of the batteries. Replace the batteries if you suspect any form of damage or if the performance of the battery is worsening.
Regular servicing: Regular examination of the vehicle by a trained professional would ensure longer life of the vehicle. Do not attempt to diagnose or repair the electric rickshaw unless you have complete knowledge of the vehicle lest it results in damage to the vehicle.
Systematic Cleaning: Ensure that the electric rickshaw is cleaned regularly. Try to get as less contact with water as possible, especially with the battery, because it could result in damage. Wipe with a clean, dry cloth to get off all the dirt off the vehicle. Cleaning the electric rickshaw regularly will save you a lot of maintenance costs in the long run.
Proper maintenance of an electric rickshaw would result in the sustainability of the vehicle in the long run. Ensuring the batteries of the vehicle and the electric rickshaw itself are safe, would ensure a longer life span.
Syndicate Motors is a manufacturer of electric vehicles that combat environmental issues and economic issues in India.
Join us in our fight for a sustainable environment as well as a cleaner and greener India.